Every day we hear people talk about drinking water (both online and offline), but many of us ignore it nonetheless – because we feel it’s not for us. This is wrong.
Drinking water can change your skin in many ways. And in this article, I would be discussing the importance of drinking water for your skin based on my personal experience (backed up by research).
Benefits Of Drinking A Gallon Of Water A Day
Why Is It Important to Drink Water Daily
When I started my skincare journey, I also started drinking a lot of water. I drank as much as I could, sometimes up to a gallon of water daily. I can remember telling a friend that I drink lots of water and she said no wonder your skin is so fresh. I was happy with the comment. I felt happy because someone noticed my hard work.
Before I started drinking lots of water, I usually had dry lips and I didn’t know my skin type either. But I knew my skin wasn’t the way I wanted it to be. With time I discovered that I had oily skin and started looking for ways to get that perfect skin I desired. That was how I discovered the importance of water in skincare.
By the end of this article, you would know the benefits of drinking a gallon of water a day, for your skin.
What Is Water?
Let’s talk about water: Water’s molecular name is H20. It is odorless, tasteless, and colorless. The skin contains 64% of water and 94% of blood. Doctors recommend that we should drink 3.7 liters for men and 2.7 liters of water for women.
This is because drinking an adequate amount of water daily is important for your overall good health. It aids in digestion, circulation, absorption, of food and nutrients, and even rids the body and skin of toxins. It has also been proven to rejuvenate the skin – which makes one look young. It’s a natural remedy for the skin. It blooms the skin.
I take one glass of water when I wake up in the morning. Taking water regularly in an empty stomach is what the Japanese call water therapy. If you want to start your skincare journey, I recommend you drink water a lot. You need to remember that nothing good comes easy or happens overnight but within a couple of weeks of increasing water intake, you should start seeing results as the hydration causes your skin to glow.
What Inspired Me to Drink Water?
I’ve been a fan of the show “Keeping Up with the Kardashian”, and one thing I noticed was how Kourtney usually consumes a lot of veggies and water. In a way, that inspired me to take nutrition and hydration seriously. I wasn’t always about the soaps and creams, sometimes the simplest of things produce the greatest of results.
Famous Celebrity Quotes About the Importance of Drinking Water
Here are some quotes from our favorite celebrities on drinking water.
“I try to take care of myself, drinking at least a gallon of water with lemon a day.” – Beyoncé
“I drink a lot of water.” – Kim Kardashian
“Drink water, stay hydrated, and sleep. It’s so boring, yet so simple.”
– Jennifer Aniston
“I try to drink a gallon of water a day, and I try to get in 32 ounces with breakfast.” – Gabrielle Union
As you can see, it is not even a secrete. But would you take up the challenge?
Benefits of Drinking Water on The Skin
Water has so many benefits for the skin; it’s a natural and even cost-free remedy for the skin.
Here are some benefits of drinking a gallon of water a day on the skin.
- It improves complexion: My skin glowed more when I started drinking lots of water, and this is because water can increase blood flow, which in turn improves skin tone.
- It fastens Healing: I had a horrible burn that almost destroyed my skin, but my wound healed faster because I took lots of water. “Water is what helps thin the blood and move nutrients and oxygen through the body”. Read more at http://www.pointperformance.com/the-benefits-of-water-for-recovery. Water also speeds up the healings of sun burn. Read more on http://www.beaumont.org/health-wellness/blogs/5ways-to-releive-sunburn.
- It tightens the Skin: For people like me that have open pores which makes us prone to Oily skins, taking a lot of water would help tighten the pores. It also tightens sagged skin due to weight loss. The result is better skin.
- It Prevents Acne: Always wash your face with lukewarm water. Water doesn’t clog pores and clog pores cause acne.
- It’s an Anti-Aging Agent: Water is a natural anti-aging agent as it prevents your skin from sagging. Which is among the benefits of drinking a gallon of water a day.
- It Prevents Heat-Related Skin Infection: It prevents infections like heat rashes and boils from your skin. Heat-related skin infections can occur during the dry season and summer period. Drinking water will help prevent such skin infections.
- It Prevents Dry Lips: As I wrote earlier in this article water prevents dry lips. If you have dry lips, I would recommend you take a lot of water. From my personal experience, I had really dry lips till I started drinking lots of water, fruits like orange and watermelon also help. Also, while drinking water you should moisturize your lips regularly with moisturizers.
What Kind of Water Is Good for The Skin?
Lukewarm water, alkaline, ginger, mint, or lemon are good for the skin.
Note that water is unsafe when consumed too much. Excessive intake of water leads to hyponatremia which is also known as overhydration. Overhydration is a condition in which the body contains too much water than it excretes and its normal sodium level is diluted. This can result in digestive problems, behavioral changes, brain damage, seizures, or coma.
“A healthy skin is a wealthy skin”. – Linda Onuoha
Water can be used to get a wealthy skin if you follow due processes. Know that nothing good comes easy, that is to say even drinking water as well can be tiring, but a defined goal can help you to stay consistence. With consistency and living a hygienic life you can get the perfect skin you desire by drinking a gallon of water a day. These are the benefits of drinking a gallon of water a day.